Maciej Tryniszewski has been associated with ArtBrut Gallery since its inception in 2009. He is an outsider artist who has created his own singular world and artistic language. He works in various mediums, including photography and collage, but his favourite is gouache, neo-expressive, often combined with drawing. He describes his gouache works using a self-created language with an altered alphabet, new letters and signs. His works represent a world filled with fantastic heroes and monsters as well as characters from popular culture, comics and urban legends. The world conjured up by the artist is organized in catalogues of figures symbolizing power, omnipotence and threat. Maciej loves going to the zoo and taking photos of animals. He then uses his photos in his works.
He is a joint winner, with ArtBrut Studio and Gallery, of Gazeta Wyborcza’s WARTO Award for visual arts in 2013.
Selected shows and events:
- „Antidote” project at the 12th Survival Art Survey, City – Inflammatory State, Wrocław.
- „Life Like a Film”, solo show, ArtBrut Gallery, Wrocław.
- „On the Common: Waves All Around 1 & 2”, WRO Art Center and as part of the Media Art Biennale WRO 2013 Pioneering Values, Wrocław.
- „Rights of Equals”, the project of ArtBrut Gallery and the Regional Delegation of the European Commission in Wrocław.
- „Jubilo” project, ArtBrut Gallery and Song of the Goat Theatre, Wrocław.
- „Pink”, ArtBrut Gallery, Wrocław.